13 Jul Susan G. Komen San Diego’s 21st Annual Race for the Cure® A Walk to End Breast Cancer—Slated for November 5 in Balboa Park
During these uncertain times regarding healthcare, the funds raised are more important than ever for every San Diegan
SAN DIEGO – July 10, 2017 – Susan G. Komen® San Diego’s 21st annual Race for the Cure® is the county’s largest 5K and 1 mile walk/run. It will be held on Sunday, Nov. 5, 2017 at 8 a.m. in Balboa Park. When government funded programs or private insurance is unable to fulfill the community’s need, Komen San Diego steps in to fill the gaps for breast cancer patients. With the money raised from the Race for the Cure, Komen San Diego is able to cover costs for diagnostic mammograms, biopsies, ultrasounds, research, meal delivery, temporary financial aid, patient navigation, breast health education and advocacy.
“Six women a day are diagnosed with breast cancer in San Diego, two of them won’t be able to afford that diagnosis,” said Laura Farmer Sherman, president & CEO, Komen San Diego. “That’s where Komen San Diego comes in. The Race is our largest fundraiser of the year providing significant funding for women who are in need of life-saving services they may not otherwise be able to afford.”
When San Diegans participate, their donations go directly to help breast cancer patients in San Diego County, as well as toward research grants internationally. With more than $1.2 million invested this year alone, Komen San Diego is the only organization providing qualified women the free services they need for every step of the breast cancer journey.
“Each step taken at the Race means help and health for San Diegans fighting breast cancer,” said Farmer Sherman. “With the support of the local community and dedicated partners, we are working toward our mission of saving lives and putting an end to this devastating disease. Show up and stand up for our neighbors in need.”
Participating in the Race helps Komen San Diego provide the following free services to women in need in the community:
- Diagnostic mammograms, biopsies, MRI’s, ultrasounds and more for qualified women.
- Financial assistance to low income breast cancer patients for their most critical financial needs during treatment, such as co-pays, rent, utilities, transportation and more.
- Meal delivery for breast cancer patients and their entire families.
- Intensive patient navigation and care coordination.
- Mobile mammography.
- Advocacy and public policy.
- The world’s largest investment of breast cancer research—second only to the U.S. government. Since 1982, Susan G. Komen has invested more than $889 million to researchers in 49 states and 20 countries. Currently in San Diego there is more than $2 million in three active grants at work to find the cures!
- Event: Susan G. Komen San Diego 21st Annual Race for the Cure
- Date: Sunday, Nov. 5, 2017
- Time: 8:00 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.
- Location: Balboa Park; Start: 6th Ave. at Palm St.
- Registration/Website: KomenSanDiego.org/race
- Registration rates are $10 off full price now through Labor Day.
- NEW THIS YEAR: Pups for the Cure, make sure to select when you register online before checkout.
As of July 5, Local Presenting Sponsors are Jerome’s Furniture, Local Presenting Media Sponsors are CBS8, KFMB-FM and 760AM; Platinum Sponsors include Sycuan Casino and Hologic; National Presenting Sponsor is Bank of America, additional national sponsors include American Airlines, Ford and New Balance.
Please support Race for the Cure on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/KomenSanDiego and please use the hashtags #KomenSD #RaceforTheCureSD and #RaceforTheCure.
ABOUT THE RACE FOR THE CURE®
The Susan G. Komen® Race for the Cure® is a unique 5K and 1-mile race designed and implemented to promote positive awareness, education and early detection of breast cancer. It has proved to be an enormously effective way to reach many women and men with the message that breast cancer does not have to be fatal if regular mammograms and breast self-exams become routine. As well as being a road race for runners, the Komen Race for the Cure is an emotionally charged event attracting many first timers and recreational runners. It is an opportunity for thousands of women, men and their families, running or walking, to share a message of hope and inspiration with their communities. Register at KomenSanDiego.org/race.
ABOUT SUSAN G. KOMEN® SAN DIEGO:
Since its inception in 1995, Susan G. Komen® San Diego has granted more than $19 million to fund global research and local non-profits that provide everything from free diagnostic mammograms, meal delivery, temporary financial aid, transportation and more. Komen has set a Bold Goal to reduce the current number of breast cancer deaths by 50 percent in the U.S. by 2026. Seventy-five percent of every dollar raised in San Diego stays in San Diego County to fund breast health services for uninsured and underinsured women and their families. The remaining 25 percent funds international breast cancer research. In fact, next to the U.S. government, Susan G. Komen® is the largest funder of breast cancer research in the world. For more information, please visit https://www.komensandiego.org. Connect with us on Facebook and Twitter and Instagram.