Make History with Lorraine

Want to make history with this year’s Honorary Survivor, Lorraine Hutchinson? For her 50th Birthday, she’s asking for your help to raise $6,500 to fund 50 mammograms and break the record for the largest team ever for the 2014 Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure—a title held by Sycuan Casino’s 591 member team. Join Lorraine’s team, “Cancer Can Kiss My Axe,” and make your donation today.


Sign up for Team “Cancer Can Kiss My Axe”


Donate to Lorraine



A letter from Lorraine:

Dear family and friends,

The big 5-0 is a huge milestone for most and it is especially significant for me this year. On October 8, 2014, I will reach that milestone and what makes it especially momentous is that I am here to celebrate it. As you know, in the latter part of 2012, I was diagnosed with Stage 1 Invasive Ductal Carcinoma (IDC). Yes, breast cancer at age 48. I am blessed to have survived the experielorraine-hutchinson-ssnce and all I can think about on a daily basis is how I can give back and help others.

What I want for my 50th birthday is two things; 1. I want to raise enough money to fund 50 (for each year of my life) mammograms for women (or men) that cannot afford them and 2. I want to break the record for the largest team on record for the 2014 Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure. I am humbly asking you to help me do both.

As most of you know, I was selected by Susan G. Komen, SD to be their 2014 Honorary Breast Cancer Survivor, a blessing and an honor…my job as survivor is to bring awareness to the issues of breast cancer and the importance of early screening, detection and diagnosis for the best chance of survival in all women. There is even a greater push for me to provide education to African American women who are dying at a higher rate. My term as honorary survivor will culminate on November 2, 2014 with a public address to San Diegans before the 2014 Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure 5K run/walk.

Here’s how you can help me reach my goal(s):

1. The cost of 50 mammograms is approximately $6500 dollars. I have donated the first $500.00 and I am asking you to help me raise the rest by clicking on the link and which takes you to the team page. There I am asking that each person that reads this donate a minimum of $10.00 to the team account. If I can get 600 people to donate $10.00, we will have raised $6000. So please pass it on to everyone you know. This is an important cause that most likely has affected all of us.

2. Secondly, I am asking you to help me get as many of your family and friends to join Team “Cancer Can Kiss My Axe”. The name is meant to draw attention to the number of women  firefighters that are developing breast cancer. San Diego Fire-Rescue has had five. You can join the team by clicking on the link and signing up for Team “Cancer Can Kiss My Axe”. The registration fee to sign up is $35. The registration fee does not apply to the fundraising. If you want to sign up for the team and make a $10.00 donation, you will have to add it on. If I can get 600 people to sign up, we can break Sycuan’s record of 591, set last year. You know how much I like competition!! Of course this is going to take the help of my very loyal family and friends to reach my goal. While I would love for 600 of my friends/family and their friends/family to join me at the podium at the Race for the Cure and walk with me on November 2, 2014, it is not mandatory that you walk in order to sign up. If you can’t walk, I would ask you to please consider signing up for the team and donating a minimum of $10.00/per person to help me reach my goal. If you can’t donate, please sign up for the team anyway to help me reach the 2nd part of my goal.

Now here is the most important part and the reason I am so passionate about raising money for this cause. Susan G. Komen is San Diego County’s largest funder of grants that provide free services to qualified women for every step of the breast cancer journey. This includes free diagnostic mammograms, life-saving screenings, surgeries, temporary financial aid for living expenses, meal deliveries, education, outreach, research and more. Basically wherever there is a gap, Komen fills it. Seventy five percent (75%) of the funds raised through the Race for the Cure 5K STAYS RIGHT HERE IN SAN DIEGO. The other 25% funds international breast cancer research. This is a very good cause and as you can imagine, very near and dear to me and a lot of you. Won’t you help make my 50th birthday something to remember?

I have made it very easy for you to sign up through the link on my Facebook page. I thank you in advance for passing it on to all of your friends, their friends and so on and so on and so on. Helping me to fund 50 mammograms AND breaking the record for the LARGEST TEAM IN THE HISTORY OF THE RACE for the Cure will be the BEST BIRTHDAY PRESENT EVER!