12 Oct 10 Fundraising Tips to Help Breast Cancer Patients
Why do we fundraise?
- Because 1 in 8 women in the U.S. will be diagnosed with breast cancer in her lifetime.
- Because every 19 seconds, somewhere in the world, a case of breast cancer is diagnosed in a woman.
- Because every 60 seconds, somewhere in the world, someone dies from breast cancer; every 13 minutes, one woman in the U.S. will lose her life to breast cancer.
- Because breast cancer knows no boundaries. It affects people of every age, gender, socio-economic status and location.
- Because at the current rate, 13 million breast cancer deaths will occur around the world in the next 25 years.
- Because it’s time to go beyond breast cancer awareness. It’s time to take action!
FIRST, here are some KEY things to remember:
- YOUR FUNDRAISING WILL IMPACT THE FIGHT AGAINST BREAST CANCER TODAY
- FUNDRAISE WITH PURPOSE
- ASK EVERYONE
- ALWAYS PROVIDE AN IMMEDIATE & SINCERE “THANK YOU”
Let’s get started!
10 FUNDRAISING TIPS
by Marianne Masterson
1. Share your personal story and why you support Susan G. Komen® San Diego
2. Consider asking for a specific donation amount that you can tie meaning to, such as breast cancer statistics, cost of services (For example, one mammogram costs $150) or personal milestones like a birthday
3. Create a short deadline – a 4 to 6 week fundraising deadline is recommended
4. Follow up with “The Ask” 3 times
5. Remember – no one will donate more than they are comfortable giving – so don’t be afraid to ask!
6. Consider increasing your fundraising goal as you get closer. It’s likely that people will give less, or not at all, if you’re close to reaching your goal. Don’t give donors an excuse to give less than what you’re asking for
7. Engage your donors – encourage them to share their personal connection, offer to acknowledge their loved ones at the event by writing their names on your shirt or a pink ribbon
8. Work together – gather your team to hold fundraisers and make it not only fun for your donors but for yourselves! Don’t be afraid to have a whacky theme to encourage participation. Remember everyone loves a good party!
9. Matching gifts – utilize matching funds that donors may have access to through their employer and double your efforts
10. Send an immediate “Thank You” upon the donation with a follow up right after the event summarizing your experience and how much you raised. You might consider a public acknowledgement on social media like Facebook because it may result in additional donationsHelp Fund Breast Health Services
Have you heard about Facebook Fundraisers? It’s a great tool to help you reach your Race for the Cure fundraising goals and easy to set up! Just login into your Fundraising Center and get started!Start my Facebook Fundraiser!
KENDRA SCOTT SHOPPING PARTY
Host a Kendra Gives Back Shopping Party at the Kendra Scott store in Fashion Valley Mall- Kendra Scott will provide the champagne, sweet treats, and jewelry! 20% of all sales during your event will benefit Susan G. Komen San Diego. Please contact email@example.com for more details.