What is the difference between the Race for the Cure 5k, and the 3-Day Breast Cancer Walk?

The San Diego Race for the Cure set for Sunday, November 1, 2015 is part of an international series with more than 140 events, locally managed by Komen Affiliates and Komen non-profit partners.   For every dollar raised by the San Diego Race for the Cure, 75% stays here in our County to fund everything from free mammograms and surgery to meal delivery, child care and temporary financial aid.  The remaining 25% goes into a pool of money from all 120 affiliates to fund international research. Next to the U.S. government, Susan G. Komen is the largest funder of breast cancer research in the world.

The Susan G. Komen 3-Day is a national series with 7 events centrally managed by the national Komen organization.  The local affiliate does not produce this event.  75 percent of net funds raised are allocated by Komen Headquarters for breast cancer research while 25 percent of net funds support the Affiliate Network.




What: The Race for the Cure 5K is a local walk/run that equates to 3.1 miles This is a walk over the timeframe of three days. It equates to a 60-mile journey (20 miles/ day).
Who: The local affiliate – Komen San Diego manages the 5k The national organization, Susan G. Komen manages the 3-Day
Where does the money go: 75% goes to local services, such as: –  Diagnostics-  Food delivery-  Temporary rent and financial assistance-  Prescription drug coverage 25% goes to international research 75% supports research and training grant program and large public health outreach programs25% helps fund local community and Affiliate support and outreach programs.
When: Sunday, November 6, 2016 Friday, November 18 – Sunday, November 20, 2016
Where: Balboa Park, San Diego Up and down the coast of San Diego, concluding in Petco Park
Costs: Registration Cost is ranges around $35 and you are encouraged to fundraise. Registration cost is about $70 and each participant is required to raise at least $2,300 to walk in the 3-Day.
Is a portion of the registration fee a donation? No. Your registration fee does not apply towards your fundraising, nor is it tax-deductible. No. Your registration fee does not apply towards your fundraising minimum, nor is it tax-deductible.
Registration opens: Open Now Open Now
Website: KomenSanDiego.org/Race The3Day.org