Annie Eddey represented Komen San Diego at the annual Komen Lobby Day in Sacramento this week.
The Komen Coalition of California met with the Deputy Director and other leadership at California Department of Health Care Services and Every Women Counts. Senator Nguyen, SD 34, Garden Grove, Donna Campbell in the Governor’s Office, Assemblywoman Burke, AD 62, Inglewood. Komen is proud to support two bills that are critical to ensure patients can access the care they need:
SB 137 (Hernandez)
- This bill would ensure greater transparency for patients by requiring health plans to regularly post and update provider directories.
- Breast cancer patients will find this information invaluable when determining if their current provider is covered by the various plans, and help to ensure continuity in their treatment.
This bill is especially critical after several major health plans were recently found to have highly inaccurate provider directories that misled consumers who purchased coverage.
AB 374 (Nazarian)
- Would limit the use of step therapy (where an insurer requires a patient to try different drugs before receiving the one prescribed by their doctor) by allowing a doctor to override step therapy if medically inappropriate for the patient.
- Step therapy creates barriers for patients and their doctors: they are not standardized, creating confusion for doctors, and they are generalized, which hurts patients who need personalized care.
- Patients and physicians should have the opportunity to choose the best therapy without the burden of overly restrictive cost containment policies.
Click here to learn how you can get involved with helping us pass these bills!